Following up with a thank you letter, after a telephonic interview, may boost the prospects of a person desirous of seeking employment. Details with regard to drafting a thank you…
Sample Thank You Letter After Interview
Writing a letter of thanks after attending a job interview is part of interview etiquette. In this article, we will look at the process of writing a thank you letter, post your interview.
How many of you have written a thank you note to a prospective employer after attending a job interview? Not many I guess. Writing a thank you letter addressed to your prospective employer is one of the first things you should do after you are back from a job interview. It is important not only from the perspective of you landing the job, but it also makes for good interview etiquette. So how do you write thank you letters after interviews? Whom should it be addressed to? What should your letter contain? When should you send it? Let us try and answer all these questions. Presented below is a sample thank you letter to be sent post interview.
Writing a Thank You Letter After an Interview
You should prepare a couple of rough samples or drafts before you write your final copy and send it. Once you are completely sure of what your content is likely to be, you can prepare your final draft. Consider the following example wherein Mr. John Stamos has written a thank you letter after an interview with Mr. Danny Jones of J. Ripper Productions Ltd.
545, Half Day Road
Bannockburn, IL 6024
1300 456 789
John’s email address
Date- 20th November, 2012
Dear Mr. Danny Jones,
I wish to thank you for providing me the opportunity to meet you and discuss the position of Senior Advertising Executive. I am well aware of how busy you are, and I really appreciate that you gave me your valuable time and conducted my interview. I was really impressed by the credentials and the outstanding record of J. Ripper Productions Ltd. Getting an opportunity to work with such an esteemed organization would be an honor and a privilege indeed.
I firmly believe that with my skill set and field experience, I can surely bring value and worth not just to the position of Senior advertising executive, but to J. Ripper Productions Ltd., as well. I do hope for a second meeting with you where we can discuss my suitability to the above-mentioned position, and how I as an employee can contribute to J. Ripper Productions Ltd. Once again, thank you for your time and consideration.
The above was a simple example of a thank you letter. You can always improvise upon it and add to it depending upon your individual preferences and interview proceedings.
Points to Remember
- It goes without saying that your thank you letter should project a professional image by which I mean, it should be absolutely free of typos and grammatical errors. To avoid such errors proofread your letter at least three times and if possible get it checked by your friend or a family member.
- Let your letter be unique and this can be done by being genuine in your appreciation expressed for the company.
- Your thank you letter must reach your interviewer within 24 hours of the interview. In case of delays, ensure that it reaches your interviewer within 36 hours at the most. Remember, the earlier you send it, the more effective it will be.
- You can either type the letter or you can send a handwritten one as well. However, if there are chances of postal delays taking place, then sending it through email or fax is a better option.
- Writing a thank you letter, post your interview can create a positive impact on your interviewer, and can certainly boost your chances of landing that job. It promotes a positive attitude on your part, and this always helps in the professional domain.
- It is a good way of making sure that your name sticks in the mind of your prospective employer. This can be beneficial for you, especially if there are many other contenders for the same position.
- As shown in the above letter sample, close your letter with repeated thanks and appreciation. Thank the concerned person for taking time out from his busy schedule and meeting you.
Remember, writing an above kind of letter is different from other forms of letter writing. Consulting a couple of friends or browsing the Internet for information and tips will give you a good idea of how to frame your thank you letter effectively and efficiently.