The pay scale of a legal secretary is determined by various parameters and fluctuates depending on the work experience, type of organization and the success of the client. Here is…
Responsibilities of a Club Secretary
A club secretary is responsible for ensuring that all the affairs of a club are carried out in a smooth and transparent manner. In this article, we will take a look at the responsibilities of a club secretary, apart from knowing their average salary.
While the responsibilities of a club secretary are often undermined, the fact is that a club secretary is an integral part of any club, and extremely vital for its smooth functioning. A club secretary is normally chosen by the Board of Directors of a club, and is essentially a member of the club. We will take a look at the duties of a club secretary in detail, but before that let us take a look at the educational qualifications and skills that are required for this position.
There is no standard educational qualification for becoming a club secretary, however the job demands attributes such as an outgoing personality, excellent interpersonal skills and effective negotiation skills. The job role demands taking the help of computers to send mails, record data in excel sheet, which, therefore, requires basic knowledge of computers. The club secretary has to follow the same work schedule on a regular basis, so the club secretary has to also ensure that he keeps himself motivated at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities
The club secretary has to look after the immediate and long-term activities of the club. In most of the clubs, secretaries do not need to devote their whole time in conducting the affairs of the club, and are required to just commit 4-6 hours a week, apart from coordinating the weekly or the monthly club meetings. The duties of a club secretary are:
- The club secretary has to make necessary arrangements for the club meetings. These include deciding the date, venue, time of the meeting and sending invitations to club members.
- One of the most important duties of a club secretary is to take down the minutes of a meeting. This includes noting down the important decisions or recommendations that came up in the meeting. The club secretary is also entrusted with keeping a record of the members who attended the meeting and those who were absent. After taking down the minutes of a meeting, a club secretary has to prepare a final draft, which needs to be sent to all the members so that a consensus is formed and there is no ambiguity.
- The club secretary has to take care of the legal documents such as constitutions, leases and titles. He has to seek affiliation of the club with various government and public agencies. He is also in-charge of representing the club at meetings and acts as a representative of the club. He has to effectively communicate the decisions and the recommendations that might have come up in the meeting.
- The club secretary has to monitor the staff, volunteers and keep a check on the administration supplies. He has to ensure that supplies are available in sufficient quantities.
- The club secretary is responsible for preparing a roster which is to be followed by the members of the club. This includes ensuring that suitable dates are selected for carrying out important meetings.
- The club secretary is responsible for the maintenance of the club. This includes ensuring that cleaning activities are carried on time. He has to also make arrangements for the renovation and upgradation of the club.
Clubs which require a secretary on a full-time basis usually hire individuals who have previous experience working as a club secretary. The median income of a club secretary is in the range of $31,000 to $54,000. Besides, the club secretary also gets the benefits that other members of club are entitled for. The club secretary salary depends to a large extent on the number of years of experience that an applicant has, and it also depends on the location of the club.
If you aspire to be a club secretary, you should keep in mind that the position requires you to give your time and dedication, so you should weigh in all the options before taking this position.