So for people interested in a career in obstetrics, the information provided here would definitely prove useful, as it discusses important aspects such as educational requirements of an obstetrician, job description, and of course the salary range!
Speaking about the license and certification, you need to clear all the examinations conducted by the local as well as the central board governing this area of study and work. Besides formal education and training, you need to have strong communication skills and a thorough knowledge of the latest trends and techniques in the field of obstetrics.
Job Description of an Obstetrician
As mentioned earlier, obstetricians are experts dealing with pregnancy and birth-related issues. However, their work does not stop there. There are many more responsibilities and duties associated with an obstetrician's job. Some of them are:
- Keeping a track of the patient's health during the entire pregnancy period, and advising the patient for better health care.
- Explaining pregnancy-related tests and discussing the results with them is a task for which they need good communication skills.
- An obstetrician is also required to advise patients on the diet they need to follow, besides the physical activities that they need to avoid and also indulge in.
- Carrying out cesarean sections and many other surgical procedures to make sure the safe delivery of the baby.
- For effective patient care, obstetricians work on developmental programs about the prevention of pregnancy-related problems and diseases, in coordination with other doctors.
- Handling the administration work such as managing the appointments of patients, purchasing office and medical supplies, etc.
Obstetrician Salary Range
Years of education and practice are fruitful enough to secure a high paying job as an obstetrician in any healthcare organization. The average hourly salary for an obstetrician is around $115, where a relatively new doctor earns around $51.49 per hour, and an experienced and well-known obstetrician earns as much as $150 on an hourly basis.
If you look at the yearly calculations, then the average annual salary of an obstetrician is around $209,835, where the lower range comes to around $98,598, and an experienced obstetrician earns as high as $316,526 per year.
Salaries vary according to experience, location, and employer, just the same way it does for all other fields. As per the study of trends, the states in the US where the salary of an obstetrician is on the higher side as compared to other states are Iowa, South Dakota, Idaho, Alabama, and Wisconsin.
You need to put in a lot of hard work during your academic years to aspire for a career in obstetrics. A lot of commitment and passion towards your job is required.
With a fair idea about the obstetrician job description, educational requirements and salary range, you now have the knowledge of the things required to pursue this career that you have been dreaming about. Wishing you a great career ahead!!!