Being from health care industry, the services provided by nurses are always in demand. Moreover, nursing careers do not generally have a massive aftermath in case of a failing economy. There are several duties a nurse has to undertake.
Types of Nurses -
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs)
- Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs)
- Nurse Practitioners (Nps)
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs)
Duties of a nurse are -
- Although the general duties of a nurse are similar, they vary as per the specialty.
- The responsibilities also vary largely depending on the facility they are employed in; such as public hospitals and private facilities, and also the wards and departments; like in-patient, outpatient, Intensive Care Unit (ICU), and other departments.
- During medical testing, she is responsible for maintaining a detailed record of the patient's current condition.
- She is supposed to discuss with the physician regarding the previous treatment and medical history of the patient.
- A nurse may have to help the surgeons carry out operations in the surgery room.
- She also has to discuss with the patients' relatives regarding the precautions to be taken for the patients to remain healthy and away from complications in the future.
- Under the supervision of the doctors, a nurse can prescribe medications and perform therapies on patients.
- She has to conduct a periodical checkup of the patient in order to determine any modifications to be made in the treatment plans and therapies.
The salary of a nurse depends on many factors, with the primary one being whether they are RNs, LPNs, or CNAs. Another aspect that determines the pay scale is the type of facility they are working in, such as a large public hospital or a small private setting.
The state and city of employment also is a reason for the variation in the salary range of nurses. If we see in general, the average pay of an LPN falls anywhere between USD 31,000 to USD 54,000.
Nurses are highly paid in states, like California, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, etc. The salary range in these states is between USD 44,000 to USD 60,000. CNAs are paid up to USD 32,000. RNs are the highest paid in nursing, with an annual median salary of around USD 48,000 to USD 104,000.
The demand for nurses is growing at an increasing rate, and there are many aspirants preparing to join this field. Please note that the salary ranges are approximate median estimates and may vary by location and employment setting.