There are literally innumerable career options available for one to make a career. Interest in the field of work and future growth in that sector are some of the factors that need to be considered while choosing a career. The career as a production coordinator best suits those who love to plan things and ensure that they fall perfect. This is a challenging job and is only for hard-working people, who are also ready to accept the big responsibilities that comes with this job. A marketing production coordinator has to be a responsible person, because the tasks he has to perform usually involve customers. It requires proper scheduling of all the work to be done, and the deadlines should always be met.
He works in big retail chain or in a manufacturing unit of any organization, usually under the supervision of a production manager. He is a coordinator, which means, he is the one who coordinates all the activities related to the manufacturing and the production department of any organization. Knowledge of the supply chain management is must for a production coordinator, as his job revolves around the supply chain management. The duties and responsibilities vary greatly as per the place of work, but the general duties of a coordinator remain the same, which have been listed below.
- He has to plan the schedule of work to be done after reviewing customer orders and raw materials available.
- A manufacturing coordinator has to schedule all the activities that concern the customer orders and shipments. This can be scheduling of the customer orders or shipments from the inventory / manufacturing unit to the store.
- The coordinator has to also make sure that the company policies are followed during all the procedures.
- He also does some quality control functions and has to ensure that the manufactured products are up to the mark.
- He is expected to train the new employees in the manufacturing process of the organization and handling of the equipment.
- He has to also make sure that all the safety guidelines in the manufacturing process are being followed by the employees, and the work environment is clean and safe.
- He allocates various tasks to the employees involved in the manufacturing process, to ensure timely delivery of goods to the customers.
- He has to keep a record of all the inventory materials that are essential for the manufacturing process.
- He has to also maintain a log of all the inventory stock, and order necessary material as required.
Employers demand the following skills in an ideal manufacturing production coordinator.
- Excellent communication and team management skills. This is because the coordinator has to work with a team of professionals and communicate the activities to the team members.
- Ability to work in crises and willingness to work round the clock is also demanded from the candidate.
- Knowledge of computers and Internet is also the requirement criteria of most of the organizations.
People at these positions are quite well paid, keeping in mind the responsibilities that come with this job. The salary falls anywhere between $30,000 to $70,000, annually. He is also entitled to get monthly and yearly bonuses. The salary is thus influenced by a lot of factors like industry of work, location, experience, etc.,
They are expected to be familiar with all the manufacturing and production work concepts. The educational qualifications required to become a coordinator are not very strict, and the minimum requirement to become a coordinator is a bachelor's degree (though a degree in management is considered a plus point). Most of the big organizations demand work experience, and most of the coordinators generally start at a small level and then move up the ladder. Time management and coordination are two must-have skills in a candidate.