Are you stuck in the rut and are tired of the mundane routine you are following for years? Are you considering a midlife career change? Will it prove to be…
How to Make Your Midlife Career Change a Success
Changing a career successfully is not easy, especially so in midlife. Are you considering a midlife career change? If yes, then here are a few useful tips to make your career change decision, a decision you do not repent in the future.
Do you still think of realizing your childhood dream, but have unwillingly settled yourself in a job you don’t find interesting? This has happened to many of us, and a career change is one solution to counter the boredom and dissatisfaction that comes from a wrong career move. A change in the middle of your professional career, if successful, will boost your self-esteem and give you immense satisfaction. Changing your career during this period is good, if you really wish to try something new, learn about various fields, or just want to see your dream plans come true. Read through the tips given below to make a perfect mark in your new chosen field.
How to Plan a Career Change and Make it Successful
Lots of people have changed careers in their midlife, but only some of them have managed to be successful with the change. Only effective planning and confidence in decision-making can help you succeed, while changing your career in midlife.
Be Sure about Your Decision
People who have changed careers in their late thirties, forties or fifties, had identified their interests successfully, and had confidence in their planning and decision-making skills. Changing a career is a big thing and any decision on it shouldn’t be taken in haste. Give a deep thought to the following questions and know if you really need a career change.
1. Are you happy with your current job?
2. Why do you want to change careers? Have you identified what really interests you?
3. If you’re halfway through life and have planned a career change, what has influenced this decision?
4. Do you have enough knowledge about the new field?
5. Do you know someone who is successful in your new field of interest?
6. Do you have enough savings in your account and are economically strong?
These questions will help you in finalizing your decision. Quitting your current job for a high paying career, of which you have no knowledge of is impractical, to say the least. You should have a keen interest in the new field, and should be passionate about the work, only then will you be successful. Similarly, you should have enough money in your savings, as you cannot expect to earn as soon as you start. Thus, think wisely before taking any decision and once decided, stay confident about your decisions.
Be Practical, Realistic, and Willing to Learn
Midlife career changes are tough because the person has to compete with fresh college graduates, who but obviously have first preference during the recruitment process. You can beat this problem by learning about your new field through different sources, like books and the Internet.
1. Strive hard for a job search, but be ready to start at a small level. This is because, small companies are less stringent in their hiring process than established ones.
2. Research about the field – job openings in the new sector and its vulnerability to recession. In a gist, have complete and thorough knowledge about your field of interest.
3. You can join part-time courses or night classes to add to your knowledge about the new domain. Doing homework is a compulsion, as far as a career change is concerned.
4. When starting a business, you should have enough capital and thus you should be very cautious about how you spend money. You can take the help of a career coach for guidance about the right career moves.
Importance of Career Networking
Networking is very important for career growth, this is known to everyone. You should not undermine networking, instead, use it effectively in your stride. Interact with people who are well-settled and successful in your new field. Networking opens a vast pool of opportunities, as one gets to interact with people who have similar interests. Social networking sites and career networking sites are web-based platforms of networking. So sign up for these sites to get the best guidance and a right platform. Through networking you meet people who share the same interests as you, and this helps in finding good opportunities and planning the right moves.
So you have finally decided to change careers and have planned and researched everything. Let not stress and frustration, from a minor failure, take control over you and mar your planning. You cannot expect to get overnight success in the new field, there are a lot of ups and downs to go through. The key lies in taking failures in stride, and learning from them. Have faith in your decisions and you will be successful. You should dream about success, and have a cheerful mindset. This will show on your personality and you will feel like an achiever, ready to conquer the world.
If you have passion and desire, you can make a successful career transition in the midlife too. A midlife career change needs hard work to be put in, and it also requires patience on part of the person to make it successful.