According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of computer support specialists is projected to grow 17% from 2012 to 2022, faster than the average for all occupations. As computer technicians repair and upgrade computer equipment and software from time to time, they will be in great demand.
With growth and development in the software and hardware industries, the need for skilled computer services and network technicians has assumed great significance. Teenagers who have keen interest in computers, and who can solve problems related to computer hardware and software at the earliest, have wonderful career opportunities in this field.
The work experience one gains as a computer technician can help enhance practical knowledge and understanding in this field. For those who are interested in advanced studies and certification programs, it can be of great help in everything from job interview to school presentation. With computer being a necessity in our daily life, getting them checked and repaired frequently is necessary. The salary range of these technicians has risen in the last few years.
Factors that Determine the Salary
The average salary of a computer technician is dependent on various factors. They are mentioned below.
- Work experience
- Type of employer
- Educational qualification
- Geographical location of the job
- Based on the above factors, the salary of a computer technician varies for every state and organization. According to salary dot com, in New York, it is around $40,000, while in California, it is around $35,000.
- According to PayScale, computer service and network technicians who have less than a year's work experience earn anywhere between US$23,804 - $50,453.
- As work experience increases, prospects of getting higher salary increase to a large extent. Salary range, according to PayScale, for experienced computer and network technicians is $31,682 - $65,804.
- 'Employer type' plays a significant role in determining their earning potential. It is obvious that big multinational companies offer handsome salaries and hefty perks.
- Those who have suitable work experience can work independently, and they can earn anywhere between US$65,000 to as low as US$35,000. This depends on the success of the technicians in establishing good contacts and popularity in their area. Those who have been able to establish themselves in this industry can get work through good contacts and marketing skills.
- According to the BLS, the annual average salary for computer user support specialists was $46,420, and the median annual wage for computer network support specialists was $59,090 in May 2012. While the lowest 10% earned less than $34,930, the top 10% earned more than $96,850.
- Since this field demands some good knowledge about computers, educational qualification does play a crucial role in deciding the salaries. Those having a high school degree can make anywhere between US$30,000 to US$50,000. However, interest and an urge to work in this field is necessity to succeed.
- The salary of these technicians has the potential to increase, as they gain experience, education, or additional certifications. Indeed, these are the professionals who are always paid for their work and skills.
There are different types of computers manufactured today, like desktop computers, laptops, palmtops, and many others. While basic designing and circuitry of various brands remain the same, there can be significant variation in the software designing. So troubleshooting problems of various computers can be at times challenging. Here are some job duties of a computer technician.
- Participate in the designing, drawing, and implementation of computer networks in firms.
- Perform computer repairs at homes, offices, and places of commercial interest.
- Schedule times and manage contacts with respect to carrying out responsibilities of the job.
- Must have good communication skills coupled with loads of patience.
- Possess skills related to computer hardware troubleshooting, and should be able to solve problems related to internal circuitry.
- Must be available 24 hours a day, and should be ready to work at night or during weekends. It's not a typical 9-to-5 job.
- Remain updated about the latest developments in the technological field with respect to anti-virus software and other required tools in their work.
As complexity of jobs have increased in this field, clients look out for professionals who have the ability to integrate theoretical knowledge with practical applications. Students who love working on computer projects and have an inclination towards hardware engineering can work part-time to better their on-the-job-experience.