The job description of an application developer comprises various tasks such as writing specifications required for the applications, using programming computer languages and utilizing development tools to design, build, test, implement, and support applications. He works closely with other software professionals such as system analysts and engineers. His role varies as per the industry.
Mobile Application Developer
- As the name suggests, he is an expert in developing software and applications that are compatible with mobile phones.
- He is responsible for the product life cycle, from concept to development.
- He has to be well-versed with cellular technologies and the software platforms.
- Common fields of work include working on applications for GPS Mapping, Windows Mobile, Android OS, Apple iPhone OS, and other similar technologies.
- He is also responsible to build the front end user interface.
Courses Offered: Harvard Extension School has a specialized course named Computer Science E-76: Building Mobile Applications, which is an OpenCourseWare, i.e. the lectures are conducted via Internet. Stanford University also has a specialized course in this field, named Developing Mobile Apps with Web Technologies.
Java Application Developer
- He creates Java based internet and/or intranet interfaces as per clients' requirements.
- Along with all these technologies, he also uses other languages and tools for coding, compiling, and executing applications.
- He should be able to create front and back end interface codes.
- He is also responsible to develop game controller interfaces.
Courses Offered: Oracle Java Application Developer (OJAD) is a course offered at the Oracle University. IBM also provides a course in Application Developer Skills for Java.
Web Application Developer
- Typically, he is responsible for handling the functioning of the application of his client's website.
- He is required to develop new applications for business purposes.
- He also renders support to the professionals who normally use the new applications and web portals.
- He has to be proficient in web technologies such as Java, .NET, ASP.NET, XML, HTML, XSLT, PHP, content management tools, etc.
- Maintenance of the web portal and intranet is one of the responsibilities of a web application developer.
Courses Offered: Harvard Extension School offers Web Development courses. Also, the University of Worcester provides a Web Development BSc (Hons) course.
Oracle Application Developer
- He is responsible for handling all aspects of Oracle applications which is an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software.
- He should design data modules, PL/SQL and SQL programs.
- He has to handle problems relating to all modules such as Financials, eBS, AP, AR, CE, etc.
- Along with being well-versed in Oracle applications, he has to be skilled in technologies such as PL/SQL, SQL, SQL*Plus, TOAD, Oracle Discoverer and many others.
- He is responsible for debugging software programs.
Courses Offered: Oracle University offers many courses for the application developer domain. A course in 'Oracle Java Application Developer' is provided by SQL Star. Oracle Application Development course is offered by the University of California, Irvine.
Database Application Developer
- He is responsible for creating database applications that develop company's operations.
- He has to ensure that the database applications focus on data integrity.
- He has to maintain error-free operations of database applications.
- He has to be a part of the team. He should work in sync with other members, in order to analyze, design, test and debug new applications.
Courses Offered: Microsoft offers Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA) certification in this field.
Senior Application Developer
- The job description consists of handling all developmental aspects of a project.
- A senior application developer is responsible for creating new programs to improve the efficiency of the system.
- He is supposed to act as a mentor and guide his subordinates in carrying out application developmental stages.
- He is expected to possess leadership as well as technical skills in his area of expertise.
- He should also test critical programs in order to test their functionalities.
If you want to become an application developer, you need to know how to write codes using different languages, and also have a wide understanding of tools, Internet, databases, web servers, ERPs, models in software development, and other related technical functionalities.